Recording with an iPhone

Anything to do with Audio recording, look in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Recording with an iPhone

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Aug 2017 20:46

I have been talking to PeterS (Peter Slack) and he was telling me that the videos he has put up on YouTube were recorded using his iPhone, which records in stereo. I have a Samsung phone so contacted Samsung by email to ask if my Samsung phone could record in stereo via a LINE IN. Their reply:
Dear Mr.Hugh Wallington, it's impossible. GalaxyAce 2 does not have additional outlet to attach to.

So that is a "no". Even though I now have a Samsung Galaxy J3 I don't think that would do it either.

I thought at this point I would listen to one of Peter's recordings and opted for Estate (pronounced est-art-ay). Here is his SoundCloud recording, which he did as a WAV file from his Korg PA4 and then converted the WAV to MP3. This is one of my favourite recordings from Peter, and you can hear from the quality of what you are listening to that it is in STEREO

Click the orange marker on the Soundcloud LINK below to ‘Play’.

https://soundcloud.com/peter-s-7/estate ... x-keyboard

And the waveform of this from running the MP3 through Audacity is below:

.. which confirms that this is a STEREO recording as the left and right channels are completely different.

Now his YouTube upload of this song, done with his iPhone 6.

Just listening to this, one can tell that this is not Stereo, but 2-track MONO. Below is the waveform from Audacity:

The left and right channels are exactly the same, which confirms that this is 2-track MONO.

So here is the question. Can the iPhone 6 record in STEREO, or not? It's not the Keyboard, as the SoundCloud recording confirms the Korg PA4 gives a Stereo recording.

I checked a later recording that Peter had done for YouTube, Save A Prayer Till The Morning After, and that too was in 2-track mono, confirmed by the waveform below.

When I told Peter all this, his reaction was:
No, I didn't realise they were not stereo. That does surprise me. The two recordings you mention were made using my iPhone directly wired, for a You Tube video.

Some research required, I think!
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Recording with an iPhone

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Aug 2017 21:35

I did a bit of research on whether or not the iPhone could record in stereo.

First, I came across this discussion where someone had asked the question:

"While recording a video with the iPhone 6 is the audio recorded in stereo or mono? I am asking because, I read somewhere online that the iPhone 6 only records in mono, and I was quite shocked actually, because even my 4 year old's nokia makes stereo recordings and I would have thought that a premium £700+ device in 2014 would have that feature.

If this is true then I would also like to know if it's a hardware limitation (eg is there only 1 mic?) or is it a software issue, where you could for example use an app that records in stereo?

Does the iPhone 6 have 2 built in mics for recording or only 1?

It just seems annoying to me that you can record amazing videos in 1080p with 60fps and have it looking great but ... sounding less impressive than an old phone."

And the reply was:

"It does record in mono, I am not really sure why it does, and I'm not sure if stereo playback on a mono speaker (iPhones only have one speaker) would make much of a difference.

And the iPhones have 3 microphones, not 2 or 1."

The Forum I found this on is here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ip ... o.1792929/

But I reckon they are talking about using microphone for the recording, and I have come across a YouTube clip showing quite clearly that the iPhone 6 can record in Stereo so long as you have the right connectors. In the video it even mentions (and shows you) two 3.5mm jack inputs for left and right channels. I asked Peter if this is the connector system he has. He did mention that he had a lot of cables that were a pain to connect up and get working properly! In the video, they are recording in the street, not music, but it is in stereo. It would be a better DEMO showing us stereo from a music source.

I must ask Peter what connectors he has.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 25 Aug 2017 20:46

Peter has a Mikey Digital for use with his iPhone. He originally purchased it for use with his iPhone 4, and now he has the iPhone 6 he has had to purchase an adaptor to connect it. This is what he has to say about the Mikey Digital.
Here are a couple of photos of my actual 'Mikey Digital' and connectors. I do get good results with it, when it works. The mic on its own is fantastic. Just plugs into the charging point on my iPhone 6s and away you go. I've taken it to concerts, Just fits in your shirt pocket, no wires, with amazing results. It's easy as you can see to record direct using the wires, but its weakness is that a couple of the connections can work a bit loose, and that is where you have problems. The reviews I have read today do confirm that it is a stereo recording through the stereo 3.5 socket pictured.

I have found this product on Amazon, priced at £43.49

And this is the product description:

Record Anytime, Anywhere

The all-new Mikey Digital is the perfect tool for mobile recording. Featuring two custom-tuned Blue capsules for stereo recording, a line-input, USB pass through and a stylish updated 230-degree rotating design, Mikey's three gain settings allow for a versatile recording experience for everything from a loud concert to a whisper. Record music, videos, interviews, guitars and more. Mikey also comes with its own soft carrying pouch for convenient storage and protection while on the go. Mikey turns your iPhone into the coolest mobile recording device around!

Technology

- Superior quality audio recording
- Made for iPod touch (4th generation*), iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iPad
- Works with most popular recording apps
- Input jack for guitars, mics, and any device with line-out
- Automatic or manual gain control
- Advanced processor for future app compatibility
- Built-in USB charging port

*iPod touch (4th gen) requires iOS 6.

So Peter reckons it was the connectors that caused his recordings to end up as 'two-track Mono'. I will check some of the other recordings he has put up on YouTube to see whether or not they are in Stereo.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 25 Aug 2017 22:20

Here's one on the Orla that Peter recorded for YouTube using his Mikey Digital and his iPhone.

Listening to this, it is definitely in Stereo, which is confirmed by the waveform from Audacity below. The green bars in the left and right channels were not moving 'together', and the wave patterns in the left and right channels are different.

So this confirms that the iPhone will record in Stereo. I am now wondering if it will work with a 'straight' lead into the iPhone, not using the Mikey Digital, such as the one he described in the video. One that has a USB connector for the LINE IN Stereo. Maybe one like this.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 26 Aug 2017 08:28

Peter. Can you answer me one question. When you did your recording of The Nearness Of You, did you use a LINE OUT from your Orla? Or did you do it with the Mikey Digital 'microphone' (no leads)? Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Peter S » 05 Sep 2017 12:01

I love this Korg PA4 Keyboard.
Here's a lovely Julio Doubleglazing song called 'Hey'

Peter
Keep the music playing!
Organs: Roland AT800; Technics GA3; Technics U60; Yamaha EL90. Keyboards: Korg Pa4X; Technics KN1600.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
Peter S
Active Poster

Postby Brian007 » 05 Sep 2017 16:41

Hi Peter,

That was a very nice arrangement and performance of that number, enjoyed it very much

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Sep 2017 17:17

I love the sound of this keyboard too, and I know that Peter tackled this piece when he first had his Korg PA4 X so was basically finding his way round it. He used his iPhone 6 and his Mikey Digital USB Microphone to do this recording, so I have put it through Audacity and can confirm that this YouTube recording is in 'true stereo'. The green bars on the left and right channels were not moving 'together', but independently, confirming that it was a stereo recording.

In the picture below, the waveforms may look similar, but if you look closely they are different.

So I think finally we have confirmed that you can use an iPhone (or iPad) to make a 'stereo' recording for YouTube .. so long as you have the right connectors.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Peter S » 05 Sep 2017 17:30

Hi Hugh

I'm sorry, I thought I'd replied to your post.

'Nearness Of You' was recorded wired directly using I Phone 6s and Mikey Digital.
I am pleased that it is in stereo, as I intended.
Keep the music playing!
Organs: Roland AT800; Technics GA3; Technics U60; Yamaha EL90. Keyboards: Korg Pa4X; Technics KN1600.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Peter S
Active Poster

Postby Peter S » 05 Sep 2017 17:33

Thank you Brian

It helps to have such a lovely song

Regards

Peter
Keep the music playing!
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Peter S
Active Poster

Return to Audio Recording