Alan Hawkshaw - Plays Philicorda

At almost any single period during the years 1970-1985 there were over 45 brands of new electronic organs on the UK market: Between them they managed to produce, 183 models under £1000, 137 models between £1000 & £2000 and 201 models over £2000+

Alan Hawkshaw - Plays Philicorda

Postby Mike Bracchi » 18 Oct 2012 16:38

Wotcha folks,

This 1969 recording proves that you don't need a half ton Hammond C3 and a load of Leslie speakers to play good jazz ... all you need is Alan Hawkshaw and a 'philishaver' .... oooops, I mean a Philicorda :D

Alan Hawkshaw: Legendary musician and film and TV composer – responsible for many classic TV themes and has played on thousands of classic recordings.

Enjoy ... :wink:

Mike Bracchi

Re: Alan Hawkshaw - Plays Philicorda

Postby Eddie Smart » 19 Oct 2012 12:52

Am i right in thinking that the phillycordia is made by the radio company Phillips it sounds different to the one in my local church in Godshill, there is a distinct key click like the hammonds and the guy can certainly play well.
I liked that thank you.

Eddie.
Eddie Smart

Postby Jon D » 19 Oct 2012 14:36

Hi there Mike another good sounding organ the guy plays a lot like Harry Stoneham cheers pal. :D :D :D Jon D. 8) 8)
Hi there I have played from the age of 13 and all my music is played in a sort of dance tempo style. Have worked in nearly all the North East clubs over the years. That give me a good grounding. Cheers.
Jon D
Prolific Poster

Postby andyg » 19 Oct 2012 20:06

Ooooerrr!!! What's been going on here?

1) the photo on the cover doesn't appear to be a Philicorda at all. the key depth is wrong and I'm not aware that they ever made one with sliders to the left of the lower manual and what looks like preset pistons between the manuals.

2) the reason it sounds like a Hammond with keyclick is because it IS a Hammond, with a leslie too. No Philicorda ever made a sound remotely like this, from the earliest ones right up to the last gasp models in the early to mid 70's? I think I've played most, if not all of the ones released in the UK. They used electronic keying, so no keyclick.

So what's up?? Could be be something to do with the fact that the LP is on the Philips label, I wonder? Would record companies do something like that? Er, yes they would. I know of several albums where the organ stated on the cover is not the one that's been used, or where extra gear has been drafted in without being credited. How do I know? I've spoken to the organists, they are (or were, where they've passed away) good friends!

Andy G
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 20 Oct 2012 07:32

Hiya Andy,

Well now, I did a little research on this issue, because my own memory of the two manual Philicorda recalls it having four large knobs on the upper and lower left keyboard cheeks; I could not recall the pistons either - I think the model was known as the GM760.

However, I did discover that Philips manufactured a two manual instrument with sliders in place of the knobs and a set of preset pistons ...

I have not been able to get a model number for it and I'm still a little puzzled by the 'waterfall' keys on the record cover picture - as it's clear to see from the above picture ... they are not :?:

So all in all I'm reasonably satisfied that on this occasion the instrument does/did exist ... but just to be 100% sure I have sent an e-mail to Alan and asked if he could confirm that it was a Philicorda or at least 'spill the beans' if it was some other instrument :lol: :lol:

Personally, I would very much like to believe that it is a Philicorda with Leslie used in the recording 8)

All the best.
Mike Bracchi

Postby andyg » 20 Oct 2012 08:10

Now I can remember selling that model, but I'm blowed if I can remember it having preset pistons! And Phili were using overhanging keys by then. Perhaps this was a prototype model, but even then the key depth on Phili's waterfall keys was very shallow, not like the photo.

As for spilling the beans, some artists may but others won't.

Examples? There's a Hammond album that credits string sounds to an N300. Well, I've been there and done it in the 70's and it just can't make that sound. It just so happened that the producers of the album were also distributors of the Freeman String Symphoniser. The artist concerned said that 'it was a long time ago now' but confirmed that the Symphoniser was in the studio and that he might had played it......! A Thomas album that credits certain overdubs to the little 130 European model (the junk Italian one) but that organ didn't have a cello with Vibramagic, for example. Harold Smart just smiled when I asked!

But there's a Technics album that features Kawai strings and solo voices from the S100P synth, both of which I voiced and recognised in an instant! The Kawai E550 organ and synth were in the studio at the time, as another friend had just recorded them! And this time the artist denied all knowledge!!

Finally, there's a certain Kawai album that used the little K1m expander module for all the organ sounds on two tracks. The bosses, and the recording company, decided to credit them to the SR6 organ! I wonder who might have recorded that album? :oops:
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

andyg
Super Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 20 Oct 2012 12:27

andyg wrote:Now I can remember selling that model, but I'm blowed if I can remember it having preset pistons! :oops:

Andy, it's this getting old malarkey ... :lol: :lol: You have probably forgotten more than most of us have ever known :wink: :wink:

I know i'm finding it difficult to remember the simplest things these days, only the other day I went to the doctors and said to her ...

"Doctor, I can't remember anything! I forgot what happened yesterday. I forgot what my car looks like. I can't even remember my own name"

The Doctor replied ... How long have you had this problem?

I said " What problem" :lol: :lol:
Mike Bracchi

Postby andyg » 15 Dec 2012 11:11

I know what you mean.

I can remember my 2nd birthday, I cut my finger on a toy. My first Christmas at school, I tripped over in the playground and broke the decorated Christmas Log I'd made in class. I can recall conversations I had years ago, word for word. And the last time I did a count, my 'little black book' of pieces I could remember contained maybe 3000 pieces (that was a while back and I bet I can't recall them all now though!)

BUT, send me to the shops without a list and I've had it!

:roll:

Last bumped by Mike Bracchi on 15 Dec 2012 11:11.

andyg
Super Poster

Return to Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)