It is currently 16 Jul 2018 07:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015 00:29 

Every now and again I come across a real nugget of gold ... here is a wonderful 1963 Thomas organ brochure which matches the period shown in the Thomas Organ Factory 1963 pictorial tour here viewtopic.php?f=223&t=2098

Report this post

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015 11:33 

I have been unsuccessful in finding any recording on any of the Thomas organs mentioned in the brochure but how about a great recording of Harold Smart at the Thomas Electra which is also a 60's Thomas albeit from the late end of the decade.

Enjoy .....
Quando Quando performed by Harold Smart at the Thomas Electra organ

Report this post

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015 13:29 
Prolific Poster

Strange idea of having speakers that take up more floor space than the organ. .. Fred

Report this post

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015 15:16 
Super Poster

not so strange - you need size to get a good bass response. The other option would have to had taller speaker cabinets. I guess, given the room size of the typical American home (from what I've seen on TV), floor space wasn't regarded as too much of a problem by the designers.

Every Blessing

Tony

Report this post

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015 16:44 
Prolific Poster

I'm trying to visualise 'Household Management's' reaction if I turned up from a visit to our local organ shop with a set up like the one in the picture. .. Fred

Report this post

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015 22:00 
Super Poster

Wow! What a find, that's a real blast from the past. Mike, would you let me share this one with the guys over on Organ Forum? There are some over there who have, or have had, some of these oldies. One had an OH-1, but it proved to be beyond repair. I'd love to add the brochure to the gallery and I'll reciprocate with a vintage 1960s Hammond brochure, once I can find it in the loft!

There is a Youtube video clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9j1M74lvY

This is product placement at its best, with Bob Ralston doing a demo of the Thomas Symphony on the Lawrence Welk TV show. Other Welk clips feature the Celebrity, Trianon and Lawrence Welk models, solo and with the band or singers.

The OH-1 was the forerunner of the Celebrity series, which we heard over here in the wonderfully capable hands and feet of Thomas maestro Harold Smart.

The two cabinets on the Electra were the 257 and 258 leslies, but only one (I forget which) had leslie rotors in - basically a 247, with the other matching speaker cabinet having the main channel speakers. Thomas used different speakers over here, not sure of the model but they were the usual tall ones like the 147. Probably just two 147s with the motors unplugged on one of them. "Main and Leslie external cabinets' was their description.

Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/

Report this post

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015 23:29 

Hi Andy,

I came across this little gem on eBay, I don't normally buy material such as brochures for the forum but I couldn't resist this one - I got a two others with the Thomas brochure, a Livingstone Burge 'Majestic' series leaflet and a Burge 'Chorister' leaflet :D

I am more than happy to scan the complete Thomas brochure for you - there are one or two pages I omitted when I photo-edited it for this topic - I'll get it done in the morning for you as a pdf - do you want a copy of the other two as well?

Thanks for the offer of a 60's Hammond brochure - I do have most of the Hammond stuff so 'don't bust a gut' rummaging around in your loft :wink: I don't get so excited about the vintage Hammond material these days as there are so many sites that have flogged the same old pictures, stories and leaflets to death :wink:

Your contributions to the site are more than enough as a 'reciprocal arrangement' 8)

All the best ...

Mike

Report this post

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015 11:28 
Super Poster

Hi

I'd be very interested in a scan of the Livingstone-Burge brochure (and the others) - preferably pdf.

One of the first Albums I bought was the late Emyr Davis playing hyns on a combination of piano, a Livingstone-Burge Monarch organ & electronic chimes! Fun!

These vintage organs are fascinating beasts - justwish I had space & money, but I'm still trying to sort out how to get what I want/need into my music room!

Every Blessing

Tony

Report this post

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015 13:02 

Rev Tony Newnham wrote:
Hi

I'd be very interested in a scan of the Livingstone-Burge brochure (and the others) - preferably pdf.

One of the first Albums I bought was the late Emyr Davis playing hyns on a combination of piano, a Livingstone-Burge Monarch organ & electronic chimes! Fun!

Hi Tony,

Have you settled in at Rugby yet? Rugby is a town I know very well .... from the air! :lol: :lol:

When I learnt to fly at Bagington the area south east of Coventry was used for training flights - can't tell you how many time I nearly got entangled with the Rugby masts :D
We use to do forced landing after engine failure exercises in a field right next to Draycote Water ... all good fun, that was back in 1973 - those were the days :)

Back to organs ... "the late Emyr Davis" :shock:
Are we talking about Emyr from Allen Organs, if so, I had no idea he had passed on :( Emyr Davies was a real gentleman!

I will put together the Livingstone Burge info in a pdf for you later today - I haven't got around to doing the Thomas brochure yet for Andy so I can do them both together :D

All the best Tony,

Mike

Report this post

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015 11:30 

Wotcha Andy .. the pdf files of the Thomas brochure is attached :wink:

Attachment:
Thomas 1963.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015 11:47 
Super Poster

Thanks Mike - I've downloaded the Thomas pdf too. Look forward to the L-B, but there's no rush.

We're reasonably settled in Rugby (Bilton actually, so Draycott Water is just down the road.) Still some sorting out to do, notably my "study" and music room. Things have been a little fraught so far this year, as Sue had a minor accident resulting in severe damage to her right arm. Hopefully, the surgeon will give her the all clear on Monday, as her arm has been immobilised for 6 weeks.

Every Blessing

Tony

Report this post

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015 11:50 
Super Poster

Hi

I think my recording is the Emyr Davies once of Allen UK. I thought I'd heard that he'd died a year or so back, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

I'm intending to transfer the album to digital once I get my study sorted - maybe I'll post some tracks here (or on You Tube) once it's done.

Every Blessing

Tony

Report this post

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015 11:51 

Hiya Tony,

The Livingston Burge info is attached for you ... all the best,

PS - I had to jiggle with the orientation in places but you can always tweek and save to your preferences :wink:

Mike

Attachment:
Livingston Burge.zip

Oh, I have some Compton stuff that needs scanning too - I'll keep you in mind when I have done them 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015 13:00 
Super Poster

Thanks for the Thomas scans, I'll put them on Organ Forum later.

Sad to hear of Emyr's passing. He was indeed one of the real gents of the business. Met him many times, he even got me to play part of an Allen concert once - I think he told my bosses at Kawai (good friends of his) that the products didn't clash! William Davies was the 'star' of the show, I did my bit and then came on again at the end when Bill stopped playing - I think he had a train to catch or something like that!

Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/

Report this post

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015 10:19 
Super Poster

Many thanks Mike.

I have some Compton stuff via Chris Lawton, but I'm sure it's not a complete set. If you want, I'll let you have copies of whatever isn't duplicated in due course.

I've had a quick look at the L-B scans - some memories there - I came across a couple of their instruments back in the day.

Every Blessing

Tony

Report this post