Tyros 5 Expansion Manager Software is downloadable

The Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation.

Tyros 5 Expansion Manager Software is downloadable

Postby MichaelW » 14 Nov 2013 10:26

Hi folks,

the awaited "Expansion Manager" V. 1.0.0 is downloadable.

Download site for T5 61 Notes
Download site for T5 76 Notes
Best regards - Michael

I'm playing on a Yamaha Genos2 with a Viscount Legend (Hammond) Expander and on a Roland V-Accordion.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 November (Joint Winner)
MichaelW
Active Poster

Re: Tyros 5 Expansion Manager Software is downloadable

Postby Mike Bracchi » 14 Nov 2013 12:09

Thanks for the link Michael ... I know a lot of people have been waiting on that software being posted :wink:

There is a lot of downloadable material for the Tyros 5's at Yamaha, I put a short list below and if you want anything just follow Michaels link :)

All the best.

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby MichaelW » 14 Nov 2013 12:42

Thanks Mike.

The bad news is that the expansion manager doesn't work properly at first glance. And I heard that there were no functionality according to custom voices at all. It could do only two things, as far as the software doesn't produce this error

ecirrqhryjs.jpg

Normaly it imports the wave of a premium pack via the library and splits the inherited part waves/voices into discret files with a new extension *.APCp. And it seems only be able to import libraries. I found no possibility to import custom voices.

Nobody could tell me until now how to import the splitted voices or the custom voices in the expansion memory of the Tyros 5.

All I do is to hope, that the expansion manager has more functuality with a Tyros 5 connected via midi. Perhaps some menu entries are hidden until than.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards - Michael

I'm playing on a Yamaha Genos2 with a Viscount Legend (Hammond) Expander and on a Roland V-Accordion.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
MichaelW
Active Poster

Postby Fred » 14 Nov 2013 18:33

As far as I can see, the Expansion Manager helps to install and manage Yamaha stuff. However it does not mean that you cannot load other Packs. The original Pack Installation or Single Load appears to be still there, so I'm confused as to why there is such a concern.

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby Craig » 14 Nov 2013 20:21

I'm still wondering if the normal PC voice editing software is going to be included? Hopefully for anyone who uses a Mac too this time around.
I have messaged one of the Yamaha demonstrators, still waiting for a reply from him.
Craig

Postby MichaelW » 14 Nov 2013 23:54

Good evening (or better good morning, for its nearly one o' clock),

after many tests I can say now, that the expansion manager software is the product Yamaha developed

1. to prepare the Yamaha premium voices and to transfer them to the Tyros' 5 expansion memory and
2. also to prepare third party custom voices and to the expansion memory.

I wasn't able to check point 1 out, because it works with premium packs for the T5 only. You will be able to download the packs again that you've bought for T3 or T4 after registrating the new Tyros 5 and getting a new license code. So I hope for the best that it will work.

More problems occur when you try to prepare third party voices with the software. The software accepted about 1/5 of my voices only, no matter what brand they are and without a rule to recognize. I tested about 50 self build voices, voices from Pemo, from World of Keys and from many other manufacturers. Sometimes there comes an error message, sometimes the software works as expected. And sometimes the software prtends to work as expected without any error message but there is no result at the end. Somehow frustrating. Don't know wether the software (V1.0.0) is buggy or not. Somehow it look's to me like it's not a but but a feature.

So what did I find out until now?

It is important to understand that all voices can not be imported directly but only via a library into the software. In case of sucess the software splits the voice files in up to 50 or 60 files in a proprietary format, e. g. one of my sampled violins has been splitted in more than 35 files. The structures of these files but one or two is entirely unknown to me, I discussed it with a friend but we both never saw such "sound files" before.

And now - even if you have a library with all your voices linked in it that you want to import there probably is another problem: The voices of the library are imported sequentially. So when an error occurs with one voice, the whole process stops and all the voices beyond the error are not being imported at all. There is imho only one way: You could try to solve this problem by creating a discret library for each single voice. That's a lot of work even if you use a hex editor. And the use of a hex editor is of course the only way after your T3 or T4 is sold.

So the library files can be edited with any hex editor, but you have to know what you're doing. One wrong character and it won't work. But even if you don't make any mistake there is no guarantee that the voice is beeing loaded and converted by the expansion manager at any rate. As I mentioned I had less than 50% success. And moreover - at this point I'm not able to say wether the T5 will really accept my converted voices - I do not have my T5 yet so I can't try.

But after all there is another problem (at least for me):

It is definitively not possible to create new voices with the expansion manager, at least at its actual state. If Yamahas programmers don't produce another piece of software the ability to create your own sounds based on your own samples ends with Tyros 4.

For me that's a pity. I indeed do not expect such a software. Somehow disillusioned I would be glad if at least I could "save" the voices that are most important to me.
Best regards - Michael

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
MichaelW
Active Poster

Postby Craig » 15 Nov 2013 11:47

Hi Michael.
From reading your posts above, I wonder if Yamaha are not wanting the likes of TTT etc to create new sounds and instead just want Tyros 5 owners, to buy only their own expansion voices.
If you can't edit and save sounds in the Tyros 5, then that to me makes is useless. It's basically just a rompler without editing features, so I do hope the editing software that came along with the Tyros 2, 3 and 4 makes an appearance with the Tyros 5. If there's no editing software that comes with mine when it arrives, I can tell you now, it will be back at the shop quicker than it arrived and a 2nd hand Tyros 4 will be purchased instead.
Here's me hoping anyway :)
Craig

Postby Eileen » 15 Nov 2013 15:00

Speaking to someone who has Tyros 5 he says third party voices do work in the keyboard as long as you first save them to Libraries.
The new system they are using allows more voices to be saved into the flash memory now and is far better than before.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby MichaelW » 15 Nov 2013 15:07

Hi there,

Heidrun Dolde, a well-known musician, teacher and member of the German forum driven by Yamaha recently posted in the local thread about the expansion manager software:

I'm still waiting for more concrete words by Yamaha. What I can tell you by now is the content of the following e-mail from Yamaha Germany:

Yamaha told me (Heidrun), there would be outsourced only a few functions and they would not be canceled, because the latter would be very unhealthy for Yamaha and Yamaha would be aware.

As Yamaha wrote “it was the plan that later the Yamaha expansion manager should get the functions of the former keyboard-integrated voice creator and after that even the abilities of the voice editing software.“

So Heidrun said that this tool was developed currently and therefore it was quite possible that we still would have to wait for the full functionality. But she thinks, the main thing was that the software would be coming and one would be able to use its custom voices with it!

Heidrun is still awaiting another more concrete statement from Tobi and she promised to keep us informed.

And a little bit later Heidrun wrote, that it was part of Yamaha tinkered with high pressure on a FAQ page, precisely in order to clarify our questions.

Of course I will keep an eye on the topic.
Best regards - Michael

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
MichaelW
Active Poster

Postby MichaelW » 19 Nov 2013 18:12

Hi there,

since I promised to keep you informed about the expansion manager topic here is the latest news from the German Yamaha forum:

Yamaha has released a FAQ list for the "Expansion Manager" in the German forum. I simply let Mr. Google translate, there is nothing in there that we did not already know or have suspected. (see FAQ list at the end of this post ) But some is wrong also: In the last section is written that even custom voices from the Tyros 3 need to be converted in the format of the Tyros 4 before they can be handled by the "Expansion Manager". The formats of the Tyros 3 and Tyros 4 aren’t different, so there is no conversion required.

I have pointed out the error in the German Forum already.

Annoying, however, is that Yamaha again not clearly expresses on the usability of Custom Voices. If the expansion manager could not handle them, the appropriate structure of the voices would be the cause and you should contact the manufacturer of this voice. This may not be so of course, because this voices have indeed most likely been produced on a Tyros 3 or 4 like my own. How can be there a wrong structure in the voice? I assume that the expansion manager in the current version is buggy.

I have therefore written in the Yamaha forum, inter alia:

“I expect due to publish technical descriptions that including the existence and usablility of custom voices that custom voices can be imported and converted just as perfect as my Premium Voices, which by the way worked fine.

Therefore, I wish quite clearly a reasonable conclusion to the so - called third - custom voices, a clear answer to the three essential questions:

Is the expansion manager v1.0.0 the tool, that has to be used not only to import and conversion of Premium Voices, but also to import Custom voices, no matter from what source they should be, and after that to transfer all these voices to the Tyros 5?

If not, has his function simply been "forgotten" and it is replenished in the update? Or have the customers to fear that they will have to write off their existing voices with some certainty?

Only three questions to which I would like to get three crystal clear answers!”

FAQ-Sheet (You will notice, that most of the questions are not complete. The reason is, that the Questions on the German document are incomplete already. It took me some repeated readings to understand what is meant by a few of the questions.):

Yamaha Expansion Manager
Q: What is the Yamaha Expansion Manager?
A: The Yamaha Expansion Manager is a free, free PC software application, which allows the flexible management of users and premium expansion pack contents and allowed to transfer them wirelessly or via USB Flash Memory for Tyros5 and there to install.
Q: Is this application available for PC or Mac?
A: Currently, the Yamaha computer expansion manager available for PC. A Mac OS version is in Development .
Q: Where can I get the Yamaha Expansion Manager PC version?
A: Use the download link shown here (executable file) and follow the step by step Quick Start Guide.
Q: How do I use the Yamaha Expansion Manager?
A: Follow the step by step quick start guide. For more details, please read the instructions for Yamaha expansion Manager.
Q: When do I have the Yamaha Expansion Manager to apply?
A: The Yamaha expansion manager needs to transfer purchased Tyros5 Premium / expansion Packs are applied to the Tyros5. The transfer can be wireless or USB Flash Memory occur.
Q: The import of premium / expansion packs in the Yamaha Expansion Manager
A: An Internet connection is required. Make sure you have an active Internet connection there and start the Yamaha Expansion Manager.
Q: The transfer of premium / expansion packs from the Yamaha Expansion Manager
A: For the first time, transfer Pack an Internet connection is required in order to to authorize the transmitted data content.
Q: Can other products except the Yamaha Premium Packs Expansion Manager use?
A: Currently, Premium / expansion packs can be used in the Yamaha Expansion Manager. Other product types like MIDI files, piano soft, styles, etc. can continue via USB
Q: Can I use my purchased for Tyros3 or Tyros4 Premium Pack files on my Tyros5
A: No, Tyros 5 has a new data structure, you need to upgrade versions of your purchased Premium / Expansion Packs (Free). Customers from Tyros3 or Tyros4 a Tyros5 switch, obtain the upgrade versions of your download account. Follow the step by step Voice editing
Q: What options are there on voice editing Tyros5?
A: The "Voice Set" allows easy and fast management of important voice Parameters directly on Tyros5. Further processing is the voice in a future release Yamaha Expansion Manager to be available. (Scheduled for spring 2014) File Compatibility
Q: Can Tyros5 load custom voices that were created on Tyros4?
A: The Yamaha Tyros4 Custom Voices Expansion Manager can convert to Tyros5 when these users own Waves (user created samples) use.
Q: Can Tyros5 Voices load offered and sold by third parties?
A: This depends on the data structure. Please contact the third party directly to the To clarify compatibility.
Q: Can Tyros5 load custom voices that were created on Tyros/Tyros2/Tyros3?
A : Yes. Such data must be converted to the Tyros4 Voice format first. thereafter, convert the Yamaha Tyros4 this expansion manager custom voices to Tyros5 if they Waves own user (user created samples) use.
Best regards - Michael

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
MichaelW
Active Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 19 Nov 2013 20:30

Thank you for the update Michael ... things are starting to look a little clearer on the Expansion Manager issue 8)

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby Craig » 20 Nov 2013 12:19

AC Hamilton have mentioned that any edits made with the editing software to internal voices, cannot be loaded into the Tyros 5 at this moment in time. Those are the small 2KB UVN files that I'm sure many members will have if they have dabbled with the editing software.

It's a bit of a downer considering the Tyros 5 has the Tyros 4 sounds in it, so many would have expected backwards compatibility out of the box, but since these previous T4 sounds will have been reworked, I can understand why edits to internal voices will no longer work.

At least when the new editing software makes an appearance, people can get to work once again creating sounds that they want to hear, rather than using onboard presets or making minor edits using the onboard features, which never give you the full options as an editor does.

Whether Yamaha will fix something so that exiting Tyros 4 edits will work in the future is anyone's guess. I hope so, but I'd be surprised if it happens.
Craig

Postby Eileen » 20 Nov 2013 14:22

The voice creator will be available in the spring it is being worked on now. With so many fantastic voices on the new Tyros five and its new DSP functions I think most people will be happy to enjoy the experience and not mind waiting for a voice editor.
There are problems with a certain set of Sample voices as Michael mentions. All samples from other manufactures are working correctly.
Should have mine tomorrow.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Return to Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation