Covid Vaccination

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Covid Vaccination

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Jan 2021 20:07

On Wednesday I had a letter from the NHS telling me I was eligible for a Covid vaccine (I am 78). One option was to book on line, so I decided to do it that way. They asked me for my NHS Number (which was on the letter) and one or two other questions, then offered me a choice of where I could have my vaccination done. Ashton Gate, a football ground in Bristol, about 25 miles away; Taunton Racecourse, about 30 miles away; or Westward Ho, about 86 miles away; and a local venue about 3.5 miles away. Obviously I chose my local venue, and a slot was booked for me at 4:25pm Saturday (today). It was quite clear, telling me the date and the time, and informed me I was booked in. I clicked Continue. I then had to book my second jab. I was informed there wasn't a slot available at my local venue, and I should click for an alternative. They only had those other three again, and not wanting to travel 25 miles and more for a second jab I opted not to do one of those but wait until I had had my first jab and then arrange my second.

So I rolled up at the car park locally, today, in plenty of time for my jab. They were very efficient, showing cars to vacated spaces in the car park, and asked me for my Reference Number. Reference Number? They had said nothing about that on line, and they hadn't given me one. The lady controlling the car park checked with the venue and there was no record of me having made a booking for a jab, so I had to come back home without getting one.

There was a number to ring on that original form (119) so I rang that and when they answered I told them what had happened. She explained that if I had booked BOTH jabs on line I would then have been given a Reference Number. And would have been given my first jab. And then, she said, I could have changed the venue and the date of my second jab and had it done closer to home. How was I meant to know that? And she said hundreds of people had had this happen to them too.

Who is it that creates these on line FORMS for you to fill in? Nowhere did it say I needed a Reference Number to get my jab, or that I had to book my second appointment at the same time in order to get a Reference Number. I could have designed a better form myself! If they don't give you the information, how are you supposed to know what they are wanting from you?

So the lady on 119 has booked me in at this same local venue for this coming Thursday; and at the same venue for my second jab on April 16th. So why wasn't that one available when I tried doing it on line? And she has given me a Reference Number for both.

So when you get called for a jab, make sure you get a Reference Number!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Covid Vaccination

Postby Brian007 » 24 Jan 2021 08:47

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for relating your experiences regard the vaccine roll-out. Nearly all online forms created by, or for the government seem to be very bewildering and follow no logical pattern. In the past I have done my Tax return , passport and driving licence online and I am always relieved and amazed when I finally get to the last page and its worked, never sure whether is good luck or good judgement. Anyway the main thing is you have it sorted. I have a while to wait for mine as I am only 73 but no rush.

Watched a thing on TV about Wuhan a year after this all started, and because they have had 100 cases in a week they have ordered a lock down , and it showed you one guy who went out and should not have they tied him to a lamppost as an example ? but in other parts every one has to have a test regularly and those that are clear are sent a thing on there smart phones and they can not access certain places like train station or bus stations etc without displaying this on their phone , streets ahead of us over here.

All the Best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 24 Jan 2021 09:45

Hi

I guess I'll have this "fun" before long - I'm clinically vulnerable, so should be in the same batch as over 70's for the inoculation (I'm only 69!).

As to Government forms, I agree - they're often a nightmare. Having recently been diagnosed with Diabetes, I've had to sort out my driving licence, which I did on line. At least I don't have to worry about tax returns - incredibly, there is no on-line option for filling in the "Minister of Religion" pages!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby JohnT » 24 Jan 2021 10:49

Hi Everyone. I think a lot of people are having similar problems as to where to go and form filing. I suppose it is not easy to come up with a simple form that suites all. I think we all have different ideas. At least the vaccine is being rolled out quickly and it gives us some protection. I am in this roll out at 74. So let’s hope I’m not to long in getting. I know quite a few who have been vaccinated and had a second one. Just a question of keeping safe. We go for an hour daily walk. Tesco delivery once a week and are booked up for the next four weeks it is very easy. Think we will stick to delivery even after restrictions are lifted so much easier. Keep safe and well. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby lesh » 25 Jan 2021 10:51

Hi,

Thanks Hugh for this booking experience, we are waiting for Mother’s invite so will watch out for this if booking online.
Mother’s is 91 so thought she would be near the top of the list but it appears the Doctors practice are sending out the invites in Wales and some are in age order and others in alphabetical order, why can’t everyone work the same?

Thanks

Les
Keyboard: Tyros 5
lesh
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Jan 2021 20:53

I have had my vaccination now .. this morning .. and this was the Oxford AstraZeneca jab. This was in response to the letter I got, and was organised by NHS England. My wife (who is 72) has now had a text from our surgery inviting her for her first vaccine this coming Saturday. This is at a different vaccination centre and is the one used by our surgery. Everyone at that venue is getting the Pfizer vaccine and have been told that they will be informed when they will be getting their second jab. I had to book my second jab at the same time as booking my first. My second jab is booked for 16th April. The ones booked by the surgeries don't need a Reference Number as it's being organised by them and not the NHS.

So I reckon this is why I had such a problem booking my jab from the letter. Two different groups setting up jabs and doing it differently. I too have had a text from my surgery inviting me for a jab, and to ignore the text if I have already had my first jab.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 29 Jan 2021 08:07

Hi

Looks like there's variations in the process depending on who is organising the centre. I had a text yesterday from GP surgery with a link to book. Apart from having to copy the link into a computer (I find the phone & touch screen difficult to use for various reasons) it was all very straightforward. Simple form, and they're only booking the first dose at present. Mine is booked for Monday morning here in Rugby (but not at the surgery - I think the various practices have got together and are running just one location). Not sure yet which vaccine it will be - but at least it's happening.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter