Is our hobby of music at risk now Article 13 is EU Law?

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Is our hobby of music at risk now Article 13 is EU Law?

Postby Hugh-AR » 25 Jun 2019 14:29

Is our hobby of music at risk now the EU have passed Article 13?

First read Hammonder's post re: downloading sheet music/albums:

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
http://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=358&t=2607&p=47474#p47472

To remind you of how he ended his post, this is what he said:
HOLY CRAP!!!!!-----Why can't they just LEAVE things alone!!!!----spoiling our pleasure with no benefit to themselves----who knows---perhaps the website might move to Russia where they can't touch it!!!----I'm sure they will then start attacking our ISP's to block our access to it-----why don't they just go round in ever deceasing circles and finally disappear up their own A---???? -----So folks!!!----The message is clear---as has been already mentioned----GET IT NOW!!!!----while you can---and get your thinking caps on and think of what other sites it will effect----similar sheet music sharing sites----MP3 sites---DVD sites----anything that shares files perhaps!!!!------frightning when you put power into the hands of the un-initiated few!!!

To add to your comments, it is Article 13 (which the EU has now passed as EU Law) that will no doubt cause us problems. As far as our hobby of music is concerned there are three things we need to pursue our hobby.

1. Some form of written music to enable us to play our keyboards. Traditionally, this is in the form of notes written on lines that we interpret as music. Although 'words' with chords written over the top will be sufficient for many of us. And some just 'play by ear' and play the tune from what they remember of it. Every time we bought some sheet music from our local music shop the composers received something for their work. These days we can buy music on line, download it and print it, which is easier for us to do. And when we do that the composers still get paid. But it is also possible to get hold of the music we need 'for FREE'.

2. We need to be able to listen to music, particularly music created by professionals. This is one part of how we enjoy our hobby .. just listening to music. This used to be by listening to it on the radio, or rushing out and buying the record or album so we could listen to our favourite music at home. Whenever we bought an album, the Artistes got paid something for their work But these days one can listen to just about anything without having to pay anyone a penny.

3. Any time we want to we can play something on our keyboards at home. But what if others are listening to us playing, or we record our music and enable others to listen to it? Is the tune we are playing infringing someone's Copyright? Reading between the lines, any 'Cover' we do of a song infringes Copyright.
Thousands of times a month, someone posts a cover song on YouTube. And whether the video is a live band performance or a toddler singing from her high chair, most of those cover songs are posted without permission from the song’s copyright holder—meaning they’re infringing someone’s copyright.

I have been talking to DonW about this, who had his own band, and he says that when he played 'out' they had to list the name of every tune they played, and who the composers and publishers of the music were. Nobody seemed too bothered to check on this, apart from places they played which one might consider more 'upmarket', like at a Civic function or when playing in the Guildhall. This was all very well, but often he didn't know anything about the music apart from the name of the song, which made a mockery of the whole process.

It was always the person playing or uploading the music that was considered to be responsible for making sure there was no Copyright material, and it was that person who theoretically could be held responsible for Copyright infringement. But now, under Article 13, this has switched to the 'hoster' of the music who is responsible for Copyright. Much easier to take them to court for 'allowing' Copyright material to appear on their platforms. This means the hosting platforms will do their utmost to make sure no Copyrighted material is uploaded to their sites. Article 13 does not force companies to filter what users are uploading, although critics say companies will be left with no choice. YouTube already has its Content ID system, which can detect copyright-protected music and videos and block them.

So in conclusion one has to say that if they decide (or are even able) to implement any of this, then we may find we are no longer able to 'upload' our music to places like Box or Soundcloud.

Out of interest, I did have one of my videos I posted on YouTube picked up for Copyright Infringement.

This one:

YouTube told me I could either challenge that I had infringed copyright, or accept it .. which of course I did, as I had this written underneath the YouTube video:
"She" is a song written by Charles Aznavour and Herbert Kretzmer and released by Aznavour as a single in 1974.

But they didn't take it down and didn't seem too bothered that I had played Charles' Aznavour's song. In fact, I was quite chuffed that my song had been picked up. Must have made a good job of it then!

So, Hammonder, I know you were specifically talking about getting hold of sheet music, but it's all the rest of it too that could be at risk. There would be no point in having this Forum if we couldn't put up the music we play. And other Forums, and Facebook too. There must be hundreds of music uploads to Box every single day, and we rely on Box to provide a SHARE LINK so others can listen to our music.

I second what you said:
Why can't they just LEAVE things alone!!!!

Hugh

Anyone else who has a comment about any of this please post a REPLY.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Is our hobby of music at risk now Article 13 is EU Law?

Postby Hammonder » 26 Jun 2019 01:13

Thanks Hugh!!!----thats a great reply---enough to make anyone sit up and take notice of the content and it's implications----and it also affects our very own requests for sheets and subsequent posted replies on this site as well-----I wonder if they can go back to previously uploaded material and jump on us retrospectively----or just make us take it down!!!!
Looking at the full picture-----we have all had it too good in the past and taken it for granted that any sheets/mp3s/video's that took our fancy----were ours for the taking/sharing----without any thought for the originators of the material----who really deserve to receive some reward for their work and ingenuity----and modern technology and the internet has allowed us to do just that----for free----so we kick up when that is taken from us????-----Two sides to the coin!!!!-----But will it stop us----as most of us are retired now and want to make our savings go that extra mile????----Perhaps someone will request something and it will have to be sneakily sent in a personal message rather than posted for all to have-----or do we all just curl up and die????

PS----Enjoyed your rendition of "She"----better than the Asnavour song!!!!
Hammonder
Active Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 26 Jun 2019 08:24

Hi

Unless the copyright owner insists on material being removed, You Tube add adverts to copyright material & pay the copyright owners a tiny amount from the revenue per play. I'm not sure if the latest changes to copyright law will affect that.

I've had a handful of posts on You Tune challenged for copyright - strangely enough, mostly Bach organ works!!! There was one instance where I'd assumed a piece was public domain when it wasn't, but I just accepted the challenge, and the music is still up on YT.

Not sure about other platforms. Soundcloud put the copyright onus on the user (I posted a few organ improvisations there a few years back - obviously, being my compositions, I own the copyright).

Maybe we'll have to pay to post music (I've produced CD's in the past & had to deal with copyright payments), or become composers, or stick to music where the composer has been dead for at least 70 years!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby dentyr » 26 Jun 2019 13:51

Hello Tony,
Stick to music where the composer has been dead for at least 70 years!
Companies such a Hal Lenard, Warner, Albert's, etc buy up the copyright and extend it for ever. They are not in it for the music, it is the big dollar that they cherish. Seems to me that if you play EZ-Play music and put it up on boxnet you are up for copyright infringement. Extreme case - you play at home but your neighbors listen in then you have to pay! That's why all my songs are first take, warts and all. My variation to overcome copyright. Not sure if this Article 13 is applicable in Australia? Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 27 Jun 2019 08:28

Hi

I don't know about USA copyright law - other than it's not the same in Europe. Here (including UK) copyright in music & lyrics extends for 70 years from the death of the composer/writer. It used to be 50 years, but that changed. There are moves to extend it further. Different rules apply to commercial videos & recorded music.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter