Article 13 Burning Questions ?

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Article 13 Burning Questions ?

Postby Brian007 » 21 Nov 2018 17:55

Hi All,

This is something that will affect possibly all of us in the future, because it's not just Youtube it will effect , but most of the other sites we upload or music to, watch the video and be aware what could be coming .

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: Article 13 Burning Questions ?

Postby dragon » 21 Nov 2018 21:22

I will wait and see what happens. .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 21 Nov 2018 22:56

Don't think they will get very far trying to implement this one. Many composers and singers allow their work to be used anyway, and they would not be happy if their work was not 'passed around'. It's how they get their songs into the market place. And they get revenue from YouTube via the 'Ads' YouTube put on.

See my post in WebLinks.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
http://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=364&t=6958

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 22 Nov 2018 08:33

Hi Hugh and Fred,

I hope you are right, because it's not just the music side of things that bother me, but Youtube is a real source of knowledge and a lot of existing videos could become blocked in the EU. and that may mean us, just imagine if your struggling to do something with some software , the first place I look is Youtube ? but what if its not there anymore ??? big implications all round, as Youtube will not allow anything that can not be proven to be copyright free being uploaded cause if it does they will be fined. So that may stop a lot of interesting and useful information being accessible ?

But there is an easy way around it, to watch existing video stuff on Youtube . and this information came from Youtube, and that's why we should be
concerned about what may happen.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 22 Nov 2018 10:40

Hi Brian,

Interesting video. No sound! I didn't know what VPN was until you put that up. So the idea here is that you can view the internet as if you were based in another country, which would get round the restrictions placed by countries Eg. the EU if they invoked Article 13. In the Video below, he gives an example of being able to watch BBC programs via the BBC iPlayer from another country, as the BBC will only allow their iPlayer to be used in the UK. And if you live in China, where just about everything is restricted, you would need VPN to have any meaningful Internet Access at all.

I wouldn't personally do anything like this as I'm sure there is a lot more to it than they are telling us. I wonder how much longer this video will remain with it's sound intact?

I reckon the 'flood gates' have been open for a long time, and I must admit I don't like what is happening. I remember an incident that happened some years ago when we had our Hotel. Our neighbour, who we got on with very well and had a much bigger Hotel than ours, rang me and asked why I had sent him an email that contained a virus that would have wiped the hard disk of his computer. It was clearly from me, as the From: was hugh@braesidehotel.com. He thought maybe I had a virus on my computer that was sending on this bug to everyone in my Address Book. But I knew that I didn't even have my computer on when this email had been sent out. On investigation, we found that every Hotel in Weston-super-Mare had had this email, and every email was From: another Hotel in the town. Made you think the email was genuinely from another Hotel you knew. That could have caused untold damage to the Hotel sector in Weston. Nasty! Until this point I hadn't realised that it was even possible to send an email out that was From: an address other than your own.

I was watching a BBC report on the News just a couple of days ago that was warning Students about getting emails from their Universities with genuine From: addresses saying they were to get a rebate on their Fees and to give their Bank Details so the money could be paid in. A SCAM of course, and some of them who did that had their Bank Accounts emptied.

And now I am getting phone calls to my landline that purport to be from a UK based telephone number. When I check out who has rung me, it says they are telephone numbers registered to the Punjab in India. The phone call was an automated message that said my Broadband was being terminated immediately, and to press 1 to talk to somebody to get it reinstated. If I had done that, no doubt I would have been charged at £25 a minute! Whatever will they think of next ... VPN?

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 22 Nov 2018 12:26

Hi Hugh,

Interesting video about VPN , never used one up to present and personally I think it would be a last resort for me, but if needs dictated I would
Just lets hope that it does not get to that state of things and hopefully a compromise can be found with this Article 13 or we will all be losers.

As regards phone calls , there are lots of dubious firms using all manner of things to try to get to you in your own home, We bought a top of the range call blocker and it has been worth its weight in gold, no more jumping up in the middle of a meal and as I once had a fax when I was in business, it would ring at all hours of the night from abroad and spew out reams of faxes. Email is just as vulnerable to be faked/hacked and abused , so its allways best to be alert

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter