How War Touches Different People

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

How War Touches Different People

Postby Westgarth » 01 Feb 2018 23:18

Hi

I commented earlier this evening on a song Wally performed called Annelies. Part of the comment was around the experience my mother had during World War 2, she had a fantastic time. Not everyone suffered. I've just come across this on Facebook which is an account of what a family living only 2 miles away from my mother suffered in war time. Such a different experience. In Wally's song he talks about; let's remember, but lets move on, we have a life to live. This story has the same sentiments.

A BIT OF HISTORY ABOUT OUR FAVOURITE PORK BUTCHER'S SHOP IN SOUTHWICK ROAD, SUNDERLAND, ENGLAND. In an interesting meeting with 91 year old Wilfred Taylor in May 1996 a fascinating and sad tale was revealed: "My father Leonard Schneider was born in 1877 and my mother Katerina Kraft was born in 1880. They both came to England to work in the pork butchers trade. They met in England and married in Gateshead in 1901 when they both became naturalised British subjects. My father opened a pork butcher's shop in Gateshead and they had four children. In about May 1915 I was about 10 years old and the Lusitania had been sunk by the German's. My brother, sister and I returned home from the pictures to find a mob from Gateshead smashing up our house and shop which were in the same building. Our parents had left the home and were probably seeking safety at a friends house. We didn't know what to do. A man came out of the house and punched my 12 year old sister in the face. The mob stole all of our clothes but the vicar of St James' helped us out. The shop remained closed for the duration of the war, but we still lived in the house. It was a strange situation to be in, for, although we had a German name - Schneider - we were British. My father was called up in 1916 to fight the Germans. When my father was at war a man would come to the house and shout anti-German rhetoric which frightened us all. It wasn't a very nice experience when we went for rations and other things and saw people's attitudes change when we revealed our name. After the war my father opened up the shop again and traded under the name of Schneider. When we grew up father bought pork butcher businesses for his three boys. He set me up in Southwick in 1934 when he bought the business from Charlie Maurer. I traded under my name Schneider but we knew war was coming and in 1939 my two brothers and I met to decide about our name. We were not ashamed of our German name or our heritage, but we did not want our families to experience the persecution we had suffered during the First World War. We understood that the English equivalent of Schneider was Taylor. So we all agreed to change our family name to Taylor by deed poll. I replaced the name on the shop front and although everyone in Southwick knew who we were the only trouble we had was when a man knocked on the shop window. I followed him to the Albion pub and I said I would take him to court, which I did and he was fined." Wilfred Taylor May 1996 (RIP). The Pork Butcher's shop is still in Southwick Road, although unoccupied, it still bears his name over the window. Wilfred Taylor had retired in 1970 but he allowed the new owner of the business to use the W. C. Taylor name because of the trade Mr Taylor had built up.
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Re: How War Touches Different People

Postby Brian007 » 02 Feb 2018 09:16

Hi Steve,

A very interesting account of how things were back then, Thanks for posting makes interesting reading

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 02 Feb 2018 09:37

Hi Steve. An interesting post. They changed their name to my surname. I regularly travel from Chester-le-Street to Seaburn passing the new bridge, police station and into Southwick will have to look out for the shop. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Westgarth » 02 Feb 2018 18:47

Hi John

Passed that shop hundreds of times on the way to Seaburn. Never knew it's history.
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby JohnT » 02 Feb 2018 20:41

Hi Steve I know you have visited the website in the past and may have seen that we run two keyboard clubs at Fence Houses. They are held on the 1st. 2nd. and 3rd Monday of the month. There are a selection of keyboards. Kn 7000, Tyros etc. I know you are a busy man but the nights start at 6.30pm until 9pm. Like minded players swapping ideas. music etc. One member who is 90 travels from Whitburn to play and sing. Just in case you may have a spare moment and are interested you are very welcome. The next night is on Monday and the theme is Ballads. The address is Burnside Club Fence Houses. John
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 03 Feb 2018 09:37

Wish I lived nearer to you John. Sounds like a lot of fun. There's nothing like watching someone do something first hand. Better than 1,000 words.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Westgarth » 03 Feb 2018 22:37

Hi John

Is this the one Nick used to run? I popped in there one night and I was only in 5 minutes. Got a call my daughter had an accident and I had to dash away. I may try again soon. (Daughter was fine by the way but it bloody spoilt the night ha ha).
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby JohnT » 04 Feb 2018 09:57

Hi Steve. Yes Nick used to run the The North East keyboard club but he became ill a few years ago and sadly died last year. I kept it going. I was part of The Musicmakers club at Chester-le-Street but our premises closed and we moved to Fence Houses and we sort of have two clubs in the premises.
The first Monday is Musicmakers and are themed nights where members bring keyboards.
The second Monday is NE and someone brings a keyboard and it is go as you please.
The third is band night only a few attend. We have set music books our band leader plays the full tune. We join in playing without rhythm. Either right or left hand or both. A good couple of hours.
We start a little earlier now at 6. 30pm. Would be nice to see you lots of good crack. John
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Westgarth » 04 Feb 2018 20:32

Thanks John. Didn't realise Nick had passed away although I remember he'd been quite ill. Really nice man.
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby Westgarth » 24 Feb 2018 19:04

You were right John. The butcher's has been taken over by a Dog Groomer.

All that history gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby Brian007 » 25 Feb 2018 09:17

Hi Steve,

Just shows how things have changed, supermarkets have killed a lot of small independent shops which is a real shame

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 25 Feb 2018 13:17

Hi Steve. Will have to look out for it. Not next week weather looks poor. Can’t wait for new bridge to open very impressive. John
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter