A New Years Greeting

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

A New Years Greeting

Postby Brian007 » 31 Dec 2017 09:43

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all those who read - post - or are involved with our forum
A very Happy New Year, plenty of health and wealth and by the grace of god we are all here to do this again in 2018.

Have a good 2018.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: A New Years Greeting

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 Dec 2017 13:35

And a Happy New Year to all of you from me .. and a 'thank you' to Mike who we depend on to keep this Forum going.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby mikeg » 31 Dec 2017 21:18

Hi Brian and Hugh and All Members of T D P Best Wishes for 2018 Enjoyed the video of the super group mikeG.
Keyboard: Tyros 2
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 January; August
mikeg
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 01 Jan 2018 09:17

Hi Hugh and Mike,

All the very best for 2018 to you and all our members.

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Jan 2018 21:16

To those of you who were up at midnight to watch the New Year in, did you have the telly on as we saw the old year out and the New Year in?

I was watching BBC as the clock chimes started. Before the 'bongs' of Big Ben 'on the hour' you get what are the 'Westminster Chimes'. You know, the little ditty you get on the quarter past, half past, quarter to, and on the hour. Well, I could not believe what I heard (or thought I had heard). One of the bells in the 'ditty' was the wrong chime! A low note where it should have been a high note This is the trouble with 'playing music by ear'. Something like this stands out and shouts at me! Well, this morning I tried to find a YouTube video confirming what I had heard, but the only one that had anything before the 'bongs' of Big Ben 'on the hour' had the Westminster Chimes playing perfectly. They sounded as they should. So was I imagining the whole thing? Were my hearing aids playing up?

I spoke on the phone to DonW (who I consider to be a real musician) and unfortunately he hadn't had the telly on. But he said that this was the wrong time of year to pick something like that up. He said that most people wouldn't spot a wrong note anyway; had probably had one too many at this point; and even if they noticed, would they care?

But this evening, more YouTube videos have gone up, and I have found the BBC one with the program I was watching. Have a close listen and tell me .. are the Westminster Chimes right, or not?

So what about that video that had the chimes playing perfectly? I reckon they must have pinched those from another recording from another year/time and stuck it on the front of their fireworks video. Which goes to show, you can't always believe what you see or hear.

Hugh

PS. I like the warning about 'flashing images'! Can you have fireworks without 'flashing images'?
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 Jan 2018 08:11

This topic has developed into more than just "Happy New Year", so I have continued it here, in - Music Theory, Playing Tips & Keyboard Advice - Music Theory - How an instrument sounds - Harmonics.

Click this LINK to go there:

viewtopic.php?f=322&t=5988

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter