Comments about posting comments in the Performance Board.

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Comments about posting comments in the Performance Board.

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Nov 2017 12:46

Comments about posting comments in the Performance Board, and elsewhere

I thought I would post here a 'Reply' I made to an email from Ajay, who was uncertain about whether he could post some of his music in the Performance Board as he had not been commenting on other people's posts.

Hi Ajay,

With regards to posting 'comments' on other people's 'Performances', I know there are other Forums that say 'if you have listened, it is only polite to post a comment'. I think this can get very silly, and eg. if all 350 Members posted a comment to something they had listened to would you really want to scroll through 350 "that was great", "have a nice day"?

I think that comments should only be posted when one has something specific to say about a piece.

At the end of the day, what is important to a 'performer' is to know how many people have 'viewed', which is in the stats for the posting. I would hate to think that people don't listen to performances that have been put up because they don't want to feel obliged to spend their time putting up comments. If you know that someone has put some music up, it is only polite to go and listen to it!

Equally, if you put up some music for people to listen to, don't be upset if you don't get loads of comments about it. Just keep an eye on those stats for how many have viewed your piece.

In AR Group (which I run) we don't put comments unless there is something specific about a piece we wish to draw attention to. Peter S and Don W, who are both Members of AR Group, post music in the TDP Forum from time to time, and obviously respond to any comments that are made to their posts, but don't spend their time commenting on everyone else's music .. unless they have something specific to say.

I feel really strongly about this, so think I will put these comments up in the Forum. In the meantime, please go ahead and put some of your music up. Don't feel that you can't do it because you haven't commented on other Members' posts. I would hate to think that people don't put performances up because they haven't been commenting on other Members' posts. I think we have got into a bit of a rut about this in this Forum.

Best wishes,

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Comments about posting comments.

Postby Brian007 » 10 Nov 2017 15:51

Hi Hugh,

It makes perfect sense what you say, Yes its nice to get a comment on the music you have posted but not always necessary
as the number of views tell you how many people have read your post and listened to your music so a reply is not always needed
and to be honest I never really know what to say anyway as music is such a subjective thing depending on what genre you like.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 10 Nov 2017 20:02

I normally try to listen to everything and comment.
I consider the few people who post regularly as friends in music and so I like to offer a comment or two.
I wish more people would post their music but as there are so few of us who do, I prefer at least to
acknowledge their efforts.
I personally enjoy reading members comments on my stuff and I like to return the compliment.
If there were loads of posts then that might be a different kettle of fish but I can't see the numbers
increasing to the point where I can't get round to offering at least a few remarks.
Brian
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Nov 2017 22:55

Brian,

I agree that it is nice to get comments from other Members about the music we put up, and it is only right to respond to what they say. But the point I am trying to make here is that for those Members who are not retired, or who don't have the time to respond and put up comments (or maybe do not know what to say about a piece), I would rather that they listened to the music we put up rather than just not come here at all. Also, if they do have pieces they could put up, just go ahead and put the music up for us to listen to. It is not a pre-requisite of the Performance Board that one has to comment on everyone else's posts in order to put something up. You say we could do with more people putting music up, and there are very few people who do, so maybe this is one step in the right direction to get others involved.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter