Ray Manzarek of The Doors has died at the age of 74.

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Ray Manzarek of The Doors has died at the age of 74.

Postby Mike Bracchi » 20 May 2013 23:59

Ray Manzarek, a founding member of 1960s rock group The Doors has died at the age of 74, the group's manager Tom Vitorino has said.

Keyboardist Manzarek died in Rosenheim, Germany, following a battle with bile duct cancer, the band said in a statement.

Singer Jim Morrison and Manzarek formed The Doors in 1965 after a chance meeting at Los Angeles' Venice Beach, and Manzarek's keyboard work would go on to be a touchstone of hits like "Break On Through to the Other Side" and "Light My Fire."

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," The Doors guitarist Robby Krieger said in a statement.

"I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

Manzarek, who was born in Chicago in 1939, is survived by his wife, Dorothy, two brothers, a son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren.

He died surrounded by his wife and brothers in a clinic in Rosenheim, Germany.

Ray Manzarek, 1 | Break It Down | L Studio Presents

Ray Manzarek, 2 | Break It Down | L Studio Presents

The Doors sold more than a hundred million album worldwide. Singer Jim Morrison died in 1971 aged 27 in Paris of a suspected heart failure.

R.I.P
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: Ray Manzarek of The Doors has died at the age of 74.

Postby Wally Gator » 21 May 2013 06:15

One of my top 10 groups of all time. I grew up in L.A during the time of their beginnings. Even though I wasn't old enough to go in, my friends and I would cruise Sunset Blvd. on Friday nights after school football games and drive by the Whiskey A Go Go which was one of the places they played. Great times and great memories.
Wally Gator
Mega Poster

Re: Ray Manzarek of The Doors has died at the age of 74.

Postby andyg » 21 May 2013 08:48

I've had students playing Light my Fire over the past few weeks and months. He'll continue to be an inspiration to new generations. RIP Ray.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter