Ed Sheeran's Court Case over his song Shape Of You.

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Ed Sheeran's Court Case over his song Shape Of You.

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Apr 2022 00:10

No doubt some of you will have heard about Ed Sheeran's court case today over his song Shape of You.
Ed Sheeran has won a High Court copyright battle over his 2017 hit Shape of You.

A judge ruled on Wednesday that the singer-songwriter had not plagiarised the 2015 song Oh Why by Sami Chokri.

Chokri, a grime artist who performs under the name Sami Switch, had claimed the "Oh I" hook in Sheeran's track was "strikingly similar" to an "Oh why" refrain in his own track.

After the ruling, Sheeran said such "baseless" claims "are way too common".

Ed Sheeran hits out at 'baseless' copyright claims
In a video on social media, he said there was now a culture "where a claim is made with the idea that a settlement will be cheaper than taking it to court, even if there's no basis for the claim".

He added: "It's really damaging to the songwriting industry. There's only so many notes and very few chords used in pop music.

"Coincidence is bound to happen if 60,000 songs are being released every day on Spotify. That's 22 million songs a year and there's only 12 notes that are available."

I like that last comment. He's right! There are only 12 notes available to make a song.

Below is a video comparing the two hooks. I reckon they are the same. What do you think? But the notes in question are C, E, G and A (based on the key of C). In other words a run-up on the chord C6. Just be aware that if you use these notes in your own composition with the words "Oh My" you may be accused of plagiarism.

OH WHY vs Shape Of You

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Ed Sheeran's Court Case over his song Shape Of You.

Postby Brian007 » 08 Apr 2022 06:40

Hi Hugh,

He is right there are only so many chords available to use so its inevitable that some crossover between songs will happen,

I think that to make a song or instrumental sound new and different is hard and that's where Tempo and arrangement come in and not just chords alone

But it can be done. Look at music from the 60s - 70s and what's being released now. There is a striking difference. The big question is what comes next?

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: Ed Sheeran's Court Case over his song Shape Of You.

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Apr 2022 09:47

Brian,

I like your comment about Tempo and Arrangement. I reckon that was the essence of the Ed Sheeran court case .. rather than the actual notes that were sung. To me, a lot of the modern music is all Tempo and Arrangement and no 'melody'. Nothing we could sing or play on our our keyboards. This is what turns the youngsters on (showing my age now!).

And I suppose it's the words that can be the important part of a song, as they often convey thoughts about life .. or tell a story .. although not always. When I listen to something I don't really manage to hear the words of a song clearly as I am concentrating on the harmony and the melody. But there are songs as in this one from 1973 that fill all the boxes. Melody; harmony; arrangement; words .. telling a story that brings tears to the eyes. Audio only. Video pictures would only detract from the music and the story being told.

Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter