Yamaha PSR-S950 ... Andy's Review

Use this forum for information relating to any PSR Keyboard
thru' to S & SX Series of Instruments.

Postby andyg » 13 Oct 2012 12:01

I've just spoken with Yamaha and they're going to send me an S950 down for a full review and test. It will cover home use, teaching and gigging over a few weeks. same sort of thing that I used to do for Keyboard Player magazine, but the results will be available here, on a couple of other forums and my website.

It will be open, full and honest.

First impressions of the keyboard are good, having played one for a half hour or so at the shop. Some good new sounds, though it's a pity they haven't put some new choir and vocals on (I foresee an expansion pack for these!) and the audio styles are great. The layout and design are always going to be a matter of taste as well as ergonomics, but I quite like the tighter layout. Black? Well, black is the new silver. I'd have preferred silver, but that's the way it's going to be for a year or two no doubt.

I'll pop back with some more interim findings in advance of the full review.

Andy G
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Eileen » 14 Oct 2012 09:53

Hi Andy
I look forward to that.I have had mine for a few days and really like it.There are some moans about the screen but I don't find it that bad.I set everything into reg banks anyway so don't have the need to keep going to the mixing console for effects when playing.
It has a different sound to it which I find is nice when playing the Tyros 4 and then playing the S 950. I to would have preferred silver but we must get used to having black again.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 27 Oct 2012 10:01

andyg wrote:I've just spoken with Yamaha and they're going to send me an S950 down for a full review and test. It will cover home use, teaching and gigging over a few weeks. same sort of thing that I used to do for Keyboard Player magazine, but the results will be available here, on a couple of other forums and my website.

It will be open, full and honest.

First impressions of the keyboard are good, having played one for a half hour or so at the shop. Some good new sounds, though it's a pity they haven't put some new choir and vocals on (I foresee an expansion pack for these!) and the audio styles are great. The layout and design are always going to be a matter of taste as well as ergonomics, but I quite like the tighter layout. Black? Well, black is the new silver. I'd have preferred silver, but that's the way it's going to be for a year or two no doubt.

I'll pop back with some more interim findings in advance of the full review.

Andy G

I see that the 'naysayers & conspirator theorists' are having a grand time slating the instrument as usual, so I look forward to reading your review of the S950 with interest ... a review that I am confident will be open, full and honest :D

I have split yours and subsequent post from the original topic to keep your review as a separate subject
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Return to Yamaha PSR Keyboards